Monday, May 17, 2010

Why Thin your Square Foot Garden?


Welcome back to my square foot garden blog.

In the past week I have dug, leveled, planted, watered, covered with black plastic then waited while the plants germinated. In 3days I have my radishes all sprouting and 1 melon sprouted 2 days early, because we put the garden black plastic down which kept the soil warm and wet.

(The melon that sprouted early had insect bite marks on the leaves a few days ago and was missing today! Maybe I should start melons indoors?)

Today I thinned the radishes. the word of the day is thinning. Thinning means removing extra plants. Gardeners thin their plants so vegetables will grow larger.

Tip: Don't over plant your seeds or they will compete for space, which will result in smaller plants. My crowded radishes began to turn yellow!

Do you have any idea what ate my melon sprouts?? If so, please leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. I dont know what ate your melon sprouts, but I do know that they are very tasty treats for Rabbits and Tortoises.... ear wigs can make holes as well...may protect them abit
    good job.. Granny

    ReplyDelete